Dealing with Conflict
Case Study – Managing Conflict
A director of a national charity asked me to help with a local team of 18 who were experiencing a high level of conflict. It emerged that team members were barely talking and had taken out a formal grievance against their manager. In turn he had become exasperated with the team and frustrated at his own failure to manage the situation.
In our coaching sessions I helped the manager to learn some new ways for asking their team to change the behaviour towards each other. In the team building day that followed I helped the team members to share their aspirations for teamworking. In the latter part of the afternoon they were able to talk about what they valued as members of the team and what they’d like to improve.
The impact was profound with happier relationships and more open dialogue between staff and managers – needless to say the grievance was withdrawn.
I work with teams and individuals in all forms of organisations and companies to improve workplace relationships. This work consists of team building and management coaching.
A constructive approach to workplace conflict
Even in the best run concerns there are occasional ‘fall-outs’ between employees, between staff and managers or different groups of workers. In many instances there may be a need for independent specialist help. My approach is to promote constructive conversations between all those involved, helping them to focus on the future they want.
What you can expect from team building
- Impartiality and independence – support for all involved
- A down to earth understandable approach
- A constructively run, interactive session
- Close attention to what is important to you and all those present
- A focus on solutions – what people want from the future
- Developing a culture of recognition from what is already going well
- What will be workable and beneficial to the employer
What you can expect from management coaching
- New techniques for delivering difficult messages to others
- Help articulating what you want from your staff – particularly in relation to their behaviour
- Support in developing the future of the team
- Assistance in managing themselves during the team building sessions
- Confidence in their approach to managing conflict, capability and performance
My work is always respectful, optimistic, confidential and focused on practical and pragmatic solutions. The methods I use are drawn from a number of sources and are built from extensive study and practice in the fields of groupwork, organisational development, communication psychology and mediation.
Our work together will begin with a preliminary discussion to agree where our starting point is. In most cases this will be in the form of a team building session and or management support.
In certain circumstances we may discuss the need for some specialist services to ensure that your employment policies and practices as safe and legal. If you need the help a trained and court-recognised mediator, I’d be happy to introduce you to one of my partners who specialise in this field.